Tuesday, June 10, 2008

I have a great idea… Now what? (The Next Step)

I have a great idea… Now what? (The Next Step)

As a successful entrepreneur and now co-founder of Lucky Napkin the country’s premiere venture catalyst company, this question is by far one of the most frequent we hear. It seems that average inventors and aspiring entrepreneurs everywhere are befuddled in a process that the books, CDs, TV shows and free money seminars would have you believe is easy. But the reality is that “easy” is the furthest thing from the truth and in fact the process from inspiration to creation can be down right daunting.

My belief on why such a monumental task is said to be so simplistic is quite straightforward really, it all has to do with relative levels of experience and thus the anxiety that consumes us when faced with a new task outside of our familiarity. While the “experts” are right in one way, the general concept of taking an idea from mind to market or concept to creation is “simple” when you lay it out step by cautious step, the practicality of actually doing it with your own idea is one of the most difficult tasks one can take on in their life.

Birthing an idea, a really great one, is truly akin to conceiving, carrying and bringing a child into the world. Starting on the first day you discover your great idea the anxiety, fear, trepidation, doubt, joy, hopes, dreams and aspirations all become one giant bundle of emotions that you carry with you and effect every decision you make. Each step along the way and each conflicting piece of advice you read or receive creating an internal turmoil that at times makes it almost impossible to move forward.

I for one don’t have a handyman’s bone in my body. Although I consider myself incredibly resourceful and like to believe I can accomplish anything, when it comes to working on my home, or landscaping my own yard I am nearly crippled with anxiety. I can watch those home makeover shows, gain mountains of inspiration, fill my head with confidence and even create a simple plan to change a room or my whole house. Then I’ll take that inspiration to Lowes or Home Depot and buy hundreds of dollars worth of tools and supplies; get home, break down a wall with gusto, hit the first obstacle, get frustrated, try again, meet another obstacle then call a professional to clean up my mess while I wallow in self pity at my continual home improvement failure cycle.

You see, while its true most handyman jobs around the house and even building an entire house can be considered “easy” to some, it can be monumental to most an frankly downright impossible to others. The same is true for idea development. Bringing an idea to market is not an easy task and don’t let anyone convince you otherwise. In fact I can introduce you to many bankrupt aspiring entrepreneurs who thought they could just follow the steps in the book and make millions, only to get road blocked half way with insurmountable obstacles that cost them their life savings before they finally came to the conclusion that the original idea they had would never work in the first place and by then it was too late.

So then what is the answer to the proverbial question you ask, “What do I do next once I have come up with a great idea?” Well to that I say my answer will always be the same. For get buying books, CDs or thinking you’ll cull together the answer from a bunch of web sites. The real answer is actually simple, “Validate the idea with unbiased professional assessment.”

Most business fail and most ideas never get off the ground for one simple reason and it is not for lack of funds as some might have you believe, it is for lack of a fully vetted and verified idea. Just like with my personal failure cycle with home improvement projects, idea venturing requires the same type of careful forethought and professional assessment of a project with strong consideration for your own personal talents and resources at your disposal.

Yet like my personal penchant for biting off more than I can chew and being caught up in the inspiration without thought for the perspiration required, most aspiring entrepreneurs and inventors too get caught in the ego trap of their love for an idea. But the fact remains if they were simply to take a good hard look at their idea and get proper professional assessment up front before investing too many dollars into just running full steam ahead, they might easily learn that their great idea is not actually great for them or worse that its not actually great at all and maybe even being done already someplace else.

Although I am a firm disciple of “The Power of Positive Thinking.” And a person who will tell everyone I meet that they already have the power inside of them to take them where they want to go, I am also just as firmly a believer in rational, practical thought and realize that the will to do something alone is not enough to get you over the top. Regardless of the amount of motivation you have for your great idea, and how easy the experts make it appear on TV, in books and magazines, don’t let yourself get caught in an ego trap.

Once you truly believe you have a great idea, make sure you seek and find competent, professional and unbiased advice to help you evaluate it to its fullest. Then decide what to do next.
While I cannot guarantee you that you success if you follow my simple advice, I can personally guarantee you that if you proceed full steam ahead with your idea without first asking the right questions to the right people you will increase your chances of failure 100 fold. Take the time to listen, learn, develop and adapt. The investment you spend in doing so now, just may make you millions in the future.

No comments: